First Snellen Readings

It was a little frustrating trying to set the snellen up. I printed one off the internet and then measured the E to see if it was the appropriate size. I couldn't figure out how to hang it. Literally, I couldn't find any tape in the house and it kept falling down, frustrating me. Eventually I found some double sided clear tape and hauled it outside. I brought my tape measure with me, affixed the snellen to my apartment door, and then measured off 20ft into my yard.

I took off my glasses and looked at it with the bright noonday sun framing the chart. I was stunned. I could make out the 20/60 line. Then with some effort at focusing, lots of blinking, the blurriness of the 20/50 yielded I was thrilled. Soon I'd be at the DMV passing my test with my elf-like vision.

Then I took the chart inside and hung it up at 10ft.

I struggled with the 20/100 line. Amazed at how much the light changed how well I could see. Outdoors I was thinking I'd soon be passing my driver's test without glasses. Inside, with the poor light, the crushing realization of my impairment hit me in the face. It took me nearly a minute to make out the 20/100 line and I actually got one wrong.

As of today:

Both eyes

20/60 by sunlight at noon.
20/100 by lightbulb at 1 pm

left eye: 20/100
right eye: 20/100 (barely)

0 comments:

Post a Comment